EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,769
Re: EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

photonius wrote:

A completely uninformed personal opinion....

Yes, mirror-less will take away from the crop lens sector once it takes off.

But, look at were mirror-less is going? Small and compact, ergo smaller sensors. APS-C sensors, and smaller, Canon will probably be a G1X like sensor. Look at Nikon, a tiny sensor.

What does that mean? Lots of new lenses that need to be designed for the wide angle range for these cameras, because the FF lenses are not wide enough due to the crop factor.

Ergo FF lenses alone will NEVER be the only type of lens in a manufacturers line-up.

well - I just showed my opinion - buy whatever suits you but don't expect Canon to invest in cheap and good crop lenses with large aperture.

FF is already too small for my taste but I get lenses I've never dreamed of and their performance is simply outstanding - if you can give me the same lenses (FOV and Aperture adapted) in the small format I am convinced.

Let me give you the list of lenses i own and translate it in crop - if you find me these lenses (and I am purely talking about lenses) I will accept that a crop system can be good

These are the lenses I own:

TS-E 17 f/4.0 => TS-E 11 f/2.6 (will never happen- market would be too small for a 3 k USD lens)

EF 40 STM f/2.8 => 25 f/2.0 (yes - that's feasible but I guess the price would be double or triple the 40 STM)

EF 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM => 45 - 125 f/2.6 (not thinkable at all - too expensive and too heavy)

TS-E 90 f/2.8 => TS-E 60 f/1.8 (na - don't think it would be cheap or affordable in any way)

EF 135 f/2.0 L USM => 85 f/1.2 (exists but is double the price)

EF 300 f/2.8 L IS USM II => 200 f/1.8 (existed and was not cheaper at all)

For me it's all about the lenses (suitable for the sensor size)

The crop format has predominantly one reason - getting a cheaper setup - which is fine!!

But if you would want to have the same lenses in crop format optimized for the sensor size it would be even more expensive because almost none would buy it as long as people can buy the large sensor.

The cameras are simply not that much more expensive and when you invest 6 or 8 k USD in a tele lens - the price difference from crop to FF is simply not that important any more.

For me crop has it's huge niche in the cheap corner - which is fine and I have no hidden agenda here - it can be great saving weight and having still a good quality gear in the back pack but it will never reach the quality of FF or bigger because excellent glass is missing - and yes - I know that the 17-55 f/2.8 is nice but so is the new 24-70 and I am sure it will outperform the crop pendant by a mile - IS is not important for me - I own three tripods and can afford them too (just kidding)

I do most my work from tripod or monopod and I can shoot with the 5D II up to ISO 3200 with excellent results another fact that distracts me from the crop format.

For me it is a dead horse - I would snot bet on the crop format and I would not bet on DSLRs too - I guess we will soon see something different and it will be better in quality - maybe it is necessary to do that to have even more precision maybe not

here is a shot with my new 300 f2.8 II handheld in a restaurant at ISO 3200 and f/2.8 - if you can do that with crop I am willing to accept that the crop format is a serious contender - but the 200 f/1.8 is long gone and I do not even know if it had a 4 stop IS?

the 40 STM is a nice toy lens for me and in that respect it is just gorgeous - but it is nowhere near to the 135 f72.0 or the 300 f/2.8 or the TS-E 17 - which is for the given price more then o.k. I guess

btw - beer outsells wine in Germany by a huge margin - does this say anything about the quality or the taste - I like both - no need to flame me for that but I am simply not convinced that getting smaller is no clever idea when you're after quality.

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Arn
Arn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow