Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,325
Re: You dont need Sony-Exmor tech to have clean shadows

schmegg wrote:

gigamel wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You only photograph grey cards????????
ALL your pixels are exposed to 18% middle grey???????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ALL normal images contain a variety of grey levels!!!

Take a look at your histograms!!!

DOHHHHH!!!!

Gee. What a mature response!

Umm ...

Yes - I expose my images correctly so that the subject is not 4 stops under. In fact, most of my histogram that encompasses my subject is usually well toward the right hand side.

Seriously - take a look at the DPR RAW images. The difference is marginal at best. Pick ISO100 and use your anal abilities to look into the very shadowiest bits. There is SFA difference. Please don't make me post the crops and make you look even more ridiculous than you already do.

You are attempting to create an issue where none exists. And it's falling flat with all of us that have actually held a 5D series camera in our hands and used it to create images (something you quite obviously haven't done).

Not only that, but in typical fashion, he has posted two unusable images and is making the argument that one is more "unusable" than the other. If he put up the same image from a D800, processed the same way, there would be significantly less noise and the image might be usable. The Sony technology is simply unbeatable in this regard, not even by Nikon's e/w non-Sony sensors. Nobody is in "denial", Sony has the best architecture for this sort of shooting scenario, if you are intent on lifting shadows 4 stops, get a Sony based camera. For the rest of us that seldom ever need to do that most any camera will do fine.

As for his hair-splitting over dBs, there is a reason that DxO puts up the SNR curve that they do and that is because (as you point out) it is representative of what a typical user will get in typical photographs. This is a fact that is also well supported by the IR and DPR tests where the images are essentially indistinguishable between all of the cameras we are discussing.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tmr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow