5d Mark III low iso poor performance.

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,964
Re: Take it back

Alexandros Trichos wrote:

Come on guys! This is not a matter of taste of if it bothers someone or not. A camera of this league should not demonstrate lo iso noise. This is not a super feature that I am asking, this is basics. And I hardly doubt It has to do with underexposure... Even in other decently exposed images the problem lurks in the shadows...

I think you should get the cigar.

My first impression was how could someone frequenting this forum possibly buy a 5D3 and not be aware of this issue but then I looked at your profile and realized you recently joined DPR. I say you should get the cigar because most people shooting with the 5D2 or 3 would not notice the issue unless it was shown to them but you apparently found it on your own. For the vast majority of people using DSLR's it's just not an issue but for someone like you with your style of shooting it obviously is.

If this bothers you your best option is to buy a camera with a Sony Exmor sensor such as the D800, D7000, Pentax K5 or one of various Sony models. The Exmor sensor architecture is unique and minimizes low ISO noise and patterns much below Canon's and some other designs. Canon either doesn't have the technology, the interest or both so their sensor designs will exhibit noise and patterns in the deep shadows at low ISO especially when pushed. The D800 is the current best camera for low ISO noise but it appears getting one without other design faults and QC issues could be a problem.

Nothing's perfect in life. Sorry but that's the simple truth.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tmr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow