Dilemma with Samyang 24mm

Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP hoof Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Replacement lens arrived today!

I just got the replacement Samyang 24mm. Wow, what a difference! I've only briefly tested this lens, but so far, it's the best lens I've ever used wide open. Gone is virtually any trace of a veil, and this lens seems (to me) sharper wide open than most of my zooms stopped down. A quick check showed no decentering, all 4 corners are equally sharp, and resolve fine text well, even wide open.

If the Nikon 24mm is better by a significant margin, I can't imagine how amazingly good it must be!

The only "disappointment" is the fact the aperture is still 1/3rd of a stop off (the aperture doesn't start to close until F/1.6). Like my last copy, I need to dial in 1/3rd a stop smaller than I really wany (and adjust exposure by -1/3EV). Oh well. Can't have everything with a budget lens.

Anyway, here's the old lens wide open:

And the new:

Some random photos:

Definitely hit "Original" to see this 1:1. The leaves are rather sharp for wide open (remember, F/1.6 still has no aperture blades, so it's really F/1.4). Notice the violet flare on the sun-lit sign, a typical problem with very fast glass wide open.

Some close-up photos:

hoof's gear list:hoof's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow