Ready to upgrade D70 and/or glass
I went from a D70 to the D90. It was a good upgrade in terms of resolution and better ISO performance. The D7000 is even better in both those areas.
I suspect the reason you are cropping a lot is because of the limitations of the 18-70. Yes the 2.8 zooms are great, but there are lots of great lenses. Take a look at the Nikon 70-300VR - it 's a great lens and super for the price. AF-S so it will focus pretty well.
You might want to look around at the used market as a lot of folks are trading up to the latest and greatest, but the old lenses still perform just fine. 180 2.8 is just a staggering good lens, though a bit slow in focusing by modern standards - though I shot college sports and we didn't even have autofocus . . . I also know people who do HS basketball with an 85 1.8 and get great shots.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%