$50 permit required to carry that camera?

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
BrianP in Austin
BrianP in Austin Forum Member • Posts: 87
$50 permit required to carry that camera?


I am sorry sir. You will need to apply for a $50 permit and setup an appointment to carry that camera (D700) in Zilker Botanical Gardens, Austin, Texas.

I was accosted by some overly officious park stooge in ZBG and told that "professional cameras" were not allowed in the park without making prior arrangements and greasing the city of Austin $50. I was there with my Dad and his wife just showing them the sights.

I suspect that this is nothing but a shakedown. It is a public flower garden with (usually) no entrance fee. I told them that this was my Dad and that this was not a professional engagement. They told me that they would let me slide this once and took my name down.

I can see if you are doing a large wedding party and monopolizing half of the park. Is this normal/common/legitimate?


I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered - #6

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow