A Week with my D800 ...
Last Thursday I put my new D800 on our lab copy stand and shot targets. Today I used it as a backup to my D700 and then took it to the Botanical Gardens (with a tripod!) Some conclusions:
1. The lab work showed that (at the close focus distance of the copystand)
manual focus with my Zeiss 100mm was difficult. I needed to use liveview.
when I used liveview the camera had excellent resolution.
that autofocus with my 24 - 70 mm was right on - and the results were excellent.
with either lens, a slight bit of overexposure resulted in significantly lower
resolution. (Both visually and on SFR computations.)
2. The event showed
I needed to be much more precise if I was to get even acceptable results -
very few D800 shots were usable.
Although I remember it took me awhile to learn to use the D700, now I
get excellent results with little effort. NOT so with the D800.
An occasional good picture showed the problems was me, not the D800.
3. At the botanical gardens I learned
On a tripod with great care, the D800 camera with Zeiss 100mm can give
It seems to confirm than any overexposure results in a visible loss of
When I have time I'll post of series of shots on my web site.
|Owens Valley Milky Way by ed rader|
from Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..
|Break by Hank3152|
from Motion blur
|Camp by T bird|
from A Big Year - birds
|The Maasai Shepherd by cgravel|
from - African Man - (Portrait in Black and White + A Border)