Buying 60d with kit lens, opinions please.

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,227
Re: Buying 60d with kit lens, opinions please.

The 60D is a good choice but perhaps you should also consider the new 650D/T4i, which has a very good sales price.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/08/Canon-announces-EOS-650D-Rebel-T4i

I recommend a zoom lens over a fixed focus lens as your first lens. This will give you much greater flexibility when taking photos. The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens is a very good first lens for general photography, including taking family photos.

The only drawback to the 18-135mm lens that might effect you is that the lens has trouble focusing in low light situations because of the 3.5-5.6 aperture. This is especially true at longer focal lengths where the minimum is so small (large f number = small aperture).

In low light situations you will have to use the built-in flash, which will give off pre-flashes to help the camera focus and to set the flash power via the E-TTL II function.

A budget hot-shoe flash with a built in focus assist light like the Yongnuo YF-656 EX should be your next purchase. It is more powerful than the built-in flash so it will work better with a lens like the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 one than the built-in flash.

Using a built-in or on-camera flash produces flat uninteresting images. Shadows and highlights from an off-camera flash make your images take on a 3D appearance and make them more interesting.

The YN-656 EX can be used as an off-camera E-TTL II slave to the built-in flash just like the much more expensive Canon 430EX II flash. It is a very good choice for someone just starting flash photography with a E-TTL II capable camera such as the 60D or 650D/T4i.

http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yongnuo-yn-565-ex-flash-review/

Once you start exceeding the capabilities of the 18-135mm lens then you should be knowledgeable enough to know which lens you should by next but of course you can always ask for opinions on this forum.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow