Buying 60d with kit lens, opinions please.

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ktownbill Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Re: Buying 60d with kit lens, opinions please.

60D is a cats meow of a camera! Good choice. You will grow into it.

I would get a 50mmf/1.8 or f/1.4 for indoor portraits and an 85mmf/1.8 for outdoors. You will get excellent results out of these lenses especially the 85mm. Talking Canon brand here.

For your walk-around zoom lens you can also consider the 28-135mm kit lens. These can be found used form the 7D users when they upgrade. Very inexpensive and oftentimes found never used by the sellers. I believe this lens is only offered as a kit lens with 7d's. I don't know enough about the other kit lenses to comment.

The Canon 70-200mm f/4 is one of their best lenses.

Definitely consider getting the Canon 15-85mm zoom!! This lens plus 50mm f/1.8 and later on add the 70-200mm and you will be set !!! The 15-85mm is way better than any kit lens and gives you a 15mm wide angle on the low end!! Has IS too!!

Bill

ElCap wrote:

Looking to buy the 60D but would like some opinions

Im thinking to either buy with the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit. Which is the better lens?

Another idea was just to buy the body and the 50mm 1.8 seperately. Main use for camera intially will be to photograph the kids and I have read this is good for portraits.

I am also looking at adding a new lens further down the line, the EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens. Maybe buying without a kit lens will save some £ so I could purchase this sooner but thats not a major issue, I can wait longer for this lens if need be.

Im pretty new to dslr photography, got an old 300d I have used now and again. Would the 60D be too advanced for me. Looking for a camera that will last for a long time and something I could grow in to and learn a lot as I get better.

Been reading reviews on the 60d for a while and I kinda have my heart set on it now.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

img7d

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow