Paper types

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BlueTrain Forum Member • Posts: 59
Paper types

Hi all,

I have recently taken the plunge into printing and framing my own photography. I have a pixma 9500 printer and have printed off a few test photos using Marrutt (formerly Ilford, I think) gloss paper. The results are pretty satisfying, but I am happy to admit I am rather ignorant of the vagaries of the printing world and am looking for some advice on what types of paper suit particular types of art best.

I also have a sample pack of paper from Marrutt which includes pearl, gloss, satin, etc. I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I know the best way to understand the differences is probably just to try and see what looks best. But does anyone have any pointers to give me a head start?

For example, is there a particular paper type that is considered best for black & white? for colour? Do the different paper types respond better to certain hanging locations? Is there a type of paper that would suit my Canon printer better than others? Should I be using a colour profile?

If i'm asking daft questions as well then apologies, please let me know if i'm barking up the wrong tree!

Thanks,
Tom

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow