Ft. Casey State Park - LX3
Fort Casey on Whidbey Island, (Washington State) is an old military installation designed to protect the inlets from enemy warships. There are several of these forts in the state. Construction started in 1897 and was completed in 1907. These are very heavily reinforced concrete structures with walls that look to 15 or more inches thick. Designed to be unseen from incoming warships, they were built very low and employed "disappearing" guns that lowered after firing. None of the forts were ever needed though. Hope you enjoy the tour!
This picture is an overview of the site and shows probably less than a third of the fort.
To the left and right of this powder and shell structure are two circles that contained cannons.
Below is what is called a Battery Commander's Station, one of several. A telescope was mounted on a pillar inside the station.
Fire Control Stations. These had special telescopes that helped guide the aiming of the 10 inch gun batteries.
The Switchboard, built underground was the main communications center.
A ten inch cannon
|Valley by the light of a blue moon by cjf2|
from Down in the Valley
|Lake Erie Stone Pier by yobbyt|
from Dock or Pier
|Hong Kong by Zephyr1977|