REQ Best photo management software

Started Mar 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
hbx2004 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,162
DAM and database behind

Hi Martin,

As every DAM software relies on database behind, you should only pay attention on what database particular DAM uses. Anyway, no one can guarantee you what will still run and be in use in say, 30 years from now. On the other hand, I'm 99% convinced, that it will be you, who will change it's DAM in that time. I mean, can you imagine how hardware, OS and software will improve in next 30 years?

Most databases (mySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, etc.) are SQL conform, so data inside is transparent (open, so to speak) for user. Meaning: user (knowing SQL language) can access data inside database without having "original" software -I mean, that is the whole point of databases.

For example: we all know Lightroom is not open source. But (AFAIK) Lightroom uses SQLite database which is SQL (and open source, if I'm not mistaken). I don't use Lightroom, but I'm quite sure one can read all data from LR database stored by user (places, names, keywords, etc.), without even having Lightroom.

On the other hand, there might be DAM's which use their own (propretary) database. In such case you're dependant on particular DAM software on how to access data and if needed, how to transfer that data into another database.

What is more important for me personally, is: DAM should be capable to write metadata into image files directly (if you choose to).

Bogdan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow