Camera Suggestion

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 15,585
Microscopes

yousaf wrote:

I'm confused between Entry level Canon or Nikon SLR and FourThird system. I'm going to use it for some medical Imaging including using it with a microscope. And there will be regular use like party photos etc.

One issue with a microscope is that you can't tolerate the recoil of a focal plane shutter. It blurs the image. Unless they've fixed it recently, Nikon DSLR's always use the shutter to take a picture and are therefore suboptimal for micrography. Canon has "Silent Mode", which, when used with live view, records the image without actuating the shutter or mirror. This makes a big difference. I always use a dedicated microscope camera that avoids all these problems but is, of course, useless for parties.

I don't know if this is incorporated in any 4/3 cameras but it's worth checking.

Also, 4/3, which is a DSLR format, is just about dead. The action these days is "Micro 4/3", which is used with "mirrorless" cameras that don't have optical viewfinders. These things are getting quite good, especially the Olympus OM-D which is in great demand. I would go with an OM-D if I could get one because it's about as good as entry level DSLR's but is considerably smaller (and, sadly, more expensive).

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow