Two lens questions for Galapagos Trip

Started Jun 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Jeff Klofft Veteran Member • Posts: 3,559
Re: Two lens questions for Galapagos Trip

Sublimert70 wrote:

My wife and I went to the Galapagos last year in May/June through National Geographic. You will have an absolutely outstanding time.

I took my D300s, Nikon 80-400 vr, Nikon 18-200 vri and Tokin 11-16. Wish I'd taken a second body. I left behind my 300 f2.8 vr ii due to the weight restrictions on the flight and hassle landing on the beach, etc. Never missed it. As others have said, you will get very close to the boobies, frigates, sea lions, tortoises, iguanas, etc. They have no fear of humans because humans are not hurting them. One thing is key, you won't have time to swap lenses. I used my 80-400 > 90% of the time. the 80 was very useful given the proximity of the animals and the 400 was helpful with the finches.

A 70-200 vr ii would be great with a teleconverter but plan on leaving it on not swapping it too much or you'll miss the action...

We also snorkled so don't know if you will do so as well. If yes, don't forget the underwater marine life!

Have fun, it's a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks, I can't wait! I've got an AW100 for underwater. It's a great P&S BTW.
--
Jeff

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow