Be nice, but be honest

Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
SirSeth
SirSeth Veteran Member • Posts: 9,947
Re: So do yours!

tedolf wrote:

SirSeth wrote:
Hey Tedolf,

Really, to get somebody on the path to learning, occoasionally you have to first remove self-delusion.

No one elected me to fix them, but as an educator, I completely agree with you in principle. However, it's only in a very rare situation that removing self-delusion is the first thing I do. Have you found that effective for others?

No, usually the self-deluded are incapable of introspection.

I know a few people like that and they are very ill. Few in my experience are truly incapable of introspection.

So it is a Sisipheaon task.

In objective tasks, e.g. climbing a wall on an obstacle course, pole valulting, etc. self delusion is not possible. In more subjective things, e.g. art-it is not only possible, it is common.

Agreed.

Strengthfinder is about leading from strengths, evaluating in order to build other's strengths, and discovering new strengths. And strengths are not always what you are good at, but what makes you feel amazing while doing them. Some people say they believe this, but in the end they simply try to give a positive spin on working on other's weaknesses. They start referring to weaknesses as "growth potentials" or other such nonsense.

But what if you really don't have any strenghts?

Do you mean that the person has no strengths or that certain photographs stink?

I mean Photoperzon.

Now I am confused. What does Photoperzon have to do with this thread? I don't see any posts above by him/her.

A lot of peole who are self taught are in that boat.

What boat? Think about all the people who get an "education" in their hobby of choice. First of, what's the purpose of teaching yourself any hobby?

Well if you keep to yourself, self enjoyment. Period. .

Only if you keep to yourself? I don't agree.

If you post here and and request C&C, that is different.

And, they have a lot of bad habits to unlearn.

Is it possible to teach one's self good habits as well?

this is very difficult. Occasionally, someone is just an artistic genius and there is nothing that they need to be taught. For most of us, being self taught is a road to disaster, and is certiantly not an optimal way to learn.

I also disagree with this. Optimal learning can most certainly be self-discovery. This type learning tends to be more intrinsic and at the least should be combined with being "others-taught."

Anyhow, on DPReview, some photos stink, but I don't feel a need to make the photographer feel good or to fix them.

Do you feel the same way when they specifically ask for C&C?

No. I don't feel a need to fix them or massage their self-esteem. I think there are other good reasons to respond when specifically asked for C&C.

The type of feedback is heavily dependent on the relationship and level of permission given. People come here for lots of reasons. Some people really want to learn and be pushed. They solicit advice. I've done this quite a bit and have received really good feedback.

But sometimes I just want to share and I don't care if you like the picture or not.

If you don't want it to have an effect on the viewer, or in the alternative don't want feedback, then don't bother.

Ok. But who are you or I to say which reasons for sharing are valid?

Who am I ?

Are you sure you want the answer to that question?

Nope, that's the point.

Cheers,
Seth

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow