Started Jun 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 25,250
And exactly how.....

The Silver Fox wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Some don't know better (like me). Others that do may not have the time to be supportingly critical.

Show 'em how it's done.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Are you being condesending? I know you know very well better.

No, not at all. I don't comment on portraits (though I always question candids being called portraits, silently) because I don't shoot them.

And the best way to suggest being supportively critical is to show how that's done - and if you have confidence in your assessmenst I was encouraging you do so. I've taken one or two to task over this subject, for being rudely authoritative in their "critique", and feel we need more of the direct but encouraging style. Often that depends on appreciating the status of the photographer in question, and taking the time to speak to that level.

Sincerely,

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Well said, Bob. Your take on the matter is true of constructive criticism in any area of life. It is easy to shoot off a criticism when evaluating a photograph, or anything else in life. It takes considerably more effort, time and care to get to know the person, their level of competence, and their motives and intentions behind their work.

how do you do that on an internet forum?

Whenever I critique someone (and my vocation consistently requires that I do), I usually ask a series of questions first, and do a lot of listening. I realize that forums are not the best medium for that level of interaction, but I suspect some effort could be made along these lines in our online critiques.

that is totally unrealistic in this venue.

Off topic: Bob, I love your work, especially those of NYC. As a New Yorker currently in exile, your lovely photographs, especially those B&W's, allow me to emotionally reconnect with my New York, from an era now long past.

Back on topic.

Again, a thinly vieled attempt to restrict free speech.

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Leo
Leo
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow