When was the end of Black & White?

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Doug MacMillan Senior Member • Posts: 1,847
Define "People"

By people, do you mean the average snapshooter or hobbyists?

Back in the 1950's, it was common for local drugstores to do B&W photofinishing. Color prints were inconvenient and expensive. Color film was slow. Things started to change in the 1960's and by 1980, it was hard to get B&W in snapshot format (Instamatic).

As a hobbyist, I always shot B&W film and color slides. I rarely shot color fillm unless it was for snapshots of the family vacation, etc. When I was a professional commercial photographer, I shot all formats, but I did a lot of work in B&W for reproduction. At one point, I would go through at least one box of 500 sheet 8x10 a week. Luckily, I had an automated processor (Kodak Royalprint).

I still love B&W. I use NIK's Silver Efex Pro and print with a Canon Pixma Pro 9500 that will print true monochome. I'm able to get as good or better results compared to my wet lab days.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow