High IQ SMALL lens options MF or AF for NEX-7 (first time)

Started Jun 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zorrik
zorrik Junior Member • Posts: 31
High IQ SMALL lens options MF or AF for NEX-7 (first time)

As my trusty E-PL1 gave up the ghost, I am starting to look at the higher performance options. My issue is this: E-PL1 was small enough to fit into a fanny pack (lens down) with its fantastically compact and versatile M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm attached.

Please share your wisdom to help me select one or two fanny-pack-compatible =), high IQ, current or legacy, MF or AF lens of any mount persuasion that works well with NEX-7.
Parameters:

1) I have never used prime lenses (except on my telescope), but I can be convinced. Zoom can be nice, but I understand the optical penalties inherent in most zooms.

2) I am not opposed to manual focus (would be fun, actually) if it reduces weight, size and improves IQ over the maligned kit.

3) This one should be one-lens-does-it-all-reasonably-well (from landscapes to ants, stills and movies) adventure walk-around lens that does not get in the way of a challenging trek, when bringing additional lenses is not an option.

As a benchmark allow me to bring up the venerable M.Zuiko Digital 14-42, again: IQ, size (even extended), weight and even price all in the sweet spot of good value at PEN level. Wish they did a collapsible APS-C version (or is that a silly request?)

4) Pancakes are probably not justified in my case? Even with a pancake, NEX-7 won't fit comfortably in a pocket, so I don't see the point for the optical compromise here.

Of course, if you think I should just stick with smaller cameras because I am not being realistic, feel free to left me know. I am considering all options here.

Hope this is enough info to qualify for some good opinions.
Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow