Fuji XPro/Xtrans a mistake?

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
liquid stereo
OP liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265
True

You're right - the Fuji part is probably just the color-filter array and the micro-lenses. This would change things significantly.

RealXenuis wrote:

I don't know, I mean, consider that your argument of why it won't be a success should hold also for why it shouldn't have succeeded in the first place. If it was prohibitively expensive to make, and it was going into what was surely a niche camera, would they have even attempted it?

The sensor wasn't redesigned, but the filter was. I suspect that's quite a simple and affordable solution that gives the differentiation it has attained amongst it's competitors. IMO, the only downside has been raw developers and when they will get up to speed, and at what cost. I think there's a much stronger argument there.

The body had to be R&D'd, and the lenses as well. For the great majority, these aspects seem to have been a grand slam. There are not a lot of pple saying this camera is ugly, or that the lenses are crap. The biggest complaint is AF, and perhaps rightfully so.

There's no real need to defer R&D costs of the sensor or diffuse the cost by selling to other mfgr's . The base sensor was (likely) made by Sony and designed/taylored by Fuji (as is not uncommon by most camera co's). They "simply" designed a diff color array filter and omitted the AA filter. That doesn't seem that costly, and shouldn't add much if anything to each sensor produced.

liquid stereo wrote:
Yes. I guess I'm thinking more about the sensor than the camera or the mount.

Personally I think the Xtrans won't be a marketplace success. Not because its bad but because the rate of development of "standard sensors" will outpace what can be done with the Xtrans. If Fuji doesn't defer the R&D and fabrication costs — i.e. get other buyers of the sensor, or don't spread it across to many camera lines — the ROI and the ability to continue development will suffer.

RealXenuis wrote:

Right, and I'm saying that there are many reasons the camera could be discontinued that have nothing to do with relative performance or cost, and that if it were discontinued, that doesn't implicate the sensor as the reason.

I'm not disagreeing that the market will suss this out, but rather, it's likely much more complicated than "the camera didn't perform like others and was too pricey".

liquid stereo wrote:

Again, I'm talking about marketplace success. I.e. it or its successor is around in the future.

RealXenuis wrote:

That obviously depends on what we think of as "successful". In terms of happiness of present owners, it seems it's already a success. Also, the sensor and the cost are not necessarily driving it's success or adoption either. It's a complicated rubric and I doubt any of us ultimately have the wisdom to deem whether the sensor is a "success' or not. Certainly, many differing arguments can be made and defended pretty easily.

liquid stereo wrote:

You're right - absolute performance is important. However, in the marketplace, it is the relative performance (and cost) that will dictate whether the Xtrans sensor is successful or not.

boinkphoto wrote:

The metric of all the evaluations of the Xtrans sensor seem to be "compared to X sensor at a pixel level, the other is better". No one seems to be saying anything about whether they like the output or the actual perceived effect of the output/sensor.

All I know, and this generally includes at 100%, I like the output. That isn't true of many other cameras for me.

It is true, there are some minimums that owners may need and perhaps this does not provide it. Personally I'm not seeing the issue(s) but I certainly grant that is a possibility.

To me it's sort of like comparing two paintings and saying one is better because the artist used better technique while never even discussing whether you like the paintings or not.

 liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow