HS30 Battery Life

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,373
Re: The dirty little secret of batteries

alexisgreat wrote:

Bill, remember when we had this discussion in the past about Li-ion vs the new NiMH batteries? The main issue with Li-ion (besides their proprietary nature and prices, which I find offensive) is the fact that no matter how often or how little you use them, within about 2 years (according to the site we had quoted) they will die and not be able to be charged again.

You have to be careful because 2 years may be well into the danger zone. One of the first Li-Ion batteries I bought (for the C-8080) had a note on the skimpy instruction sheet warnng that the batteries should be put back in the charger for at least 5 minutes every 6 months or so. Some can probably survive a year out of the charger without being damaged, but I recall at least a couple of people on a camera newsgroup several years ago complaining about batteries that couldn't be charged any more. IIRC, they had been in a drawer somewhere between 6 and 12 months without being used or charged.

With the newer hybrid batteries, not only can it hold a charge for over 1000 shots (mine lasted 1300 shots before a recharge was necessary) but these batteries can easily last over a decade as long as you fully discharge and recharge them. Plus I rather love the LaCrosse computerized LCD battery charger, which has all sorts of neat little options

I wanted to ask you about these newer batteries though: when will Hybrids completely replace the regular NiMhs? The only thing I find frustrating about them is they're not very easy to find.

Where do you live? I find them everywhere . Well, almost everywhere. I still have a set of Radio Shack's own pre-charged NiMH batteries, but they stopped selling them over a year ago. But all of the larger camera dealers in NY have them, and most of the stores like CVS, Rite-Aid, etc. sell Duracell's regular and pre-charged NiMH batteries. Best Buy also sells the pre-charged Duracells but their prices are pretty high.

I have two sets of 4 each and I would love to put them in all my devices that take AAs (two weather stations, computerized telescope, cordless mouse and keyboard, various remotes, etc.)

If I mentioned this eneloop kit before, B&H didn't have any in stock. Now they do. You may not need everything in the kit (especially the cheap charger), but the case is nice, the C and D cell adapters might be useful (I've put them to work) and as you can see from the photo, the new eneloops last much longer than the early versions.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow