A missing Con in the Canon 5d III's review: absence of an onboard flash

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
whoosh1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,627
Got a funny look once about my D3s not having onboard flash :-)

Was travelling with some execs in Tokyo. I took out the D3s with a 50mm f/1.4 lens to take a group portrait - one of the execs thought the light level was too low (of course more than ample for a D3s and an f/1.4 lens - but not for his P&S) and asked me to open the flash. I will never forget the sympathetic look the exec gave me when I told him that the camera did not have an on-board flash :-). Well - us suckers with pro cameras lacking on-board flash :-).

I think instead of opposing an onboard flash and claiming "real photographers don't need no onboard flash" - pros should be really pressuring Nikon and Canon to add a more usable onboard flash (make it nearing the capabilities of an external flash) - with a bounce capability and a built-in diffuser. Instead they let the camera companies have it easy as they can get by with just omitting the external flash.

whoosh1's gear list:whoosh1's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
AC1
AC1
AC1
cyk
ihv
(unknown member)
cyk
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow