A missing Con in the Canon 5d III's review: absence of an onboard flash

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Skip M Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174
Upon further review...

AC1 wrote:

GaryJP wrote:

AC1 wrote:

It's a strange world when something being missing/ommitted/removed from the spec is regarded as enhancing the professional status of the gadget!

Would you like it to make coffee too? Someone, somewhere would want it.

If it isn't a factor for some of us, it is not a con for us, and to label it as one in a review would be stupid. If you want a flash there are lots of other models.

Disagree. The minute that a feature (or lack of it) is a con in the mind of even one potential purchaser, then it should become a con. Unless that person is clearly a lunatic with idiotic expectations. But I think we can rule that out given it is a feature that appears on other similar options. And obviously I am not alone, there are plenty of potential 5D3 purchasers who will regard it as a con - several of them can be heard here.

That's too extreme of an outlook. If there's even one person who thinks its bad that a 1 series doesn't have a built in flash, that should be a "con?" Hmmm...

And, frankly, it's not available on that many similar options. Of all the full, 35mm framed cameras currently on the market, a total of 5, there's only one with a built in flash, the D800. Not the Sony A-900, not the Canon 1DX, nor the other Nikon, the D4.

So yes I think it is a con. It might not be a show-stopper but it is still a con.

I think, to be a "con," it would have to be something that may deter someone from buying an object completely, other than price. And it would have to be more than a very small minority that would feel that way. The lesser resolution of the 5D3 is a case in point. That's a "con" in the sense that many have decided that they won't buy the 5D3 because it comes up short compared to the D800 on that one feature.

Yes you are right there is an alternative but it requires you to carry around an external flash 'just in case'. In some situations it would be a hassle. And it could make you think "Mmmmm, I would take my 5D3 with me but just in case I need easy no-hassle flash, I'd better take my 7D instead". In other words the 5D3 might get left at home instead of used for shooting. And whichever way you look at that, it has to be a con for some people.

But that's why a lot of us have more than one camera. The weight of a camera may influence which one to take, or the weight of a needed lens. I might grab my 60D and a 28-135 instead of my 5D and 24-70, just because portability, that day, trumps absolute quality. But my 430EX will be in a side pouch, guaranteed.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
AC1
AC1
AC1
cyk
ihv
(unknown member)
cyk
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow