Success PC Port output on HVL-F7S (Sony NEX) without PREFLASH!!!

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
fabianbono
OP fabianbono Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: richg101, hadn't thought of replacing flash switch

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

That does it. Am going to modify the little Sony Nex flash, and as you suggest disconnect the flash bulb. Which has to work ok, because a flash bulb in the "off" state doesn't conduct electricity. I.e. the camera firmware can't possibly guess that the flash bulb "isn't there". Want to figure out how to get a hot shoe on top of it, an issue Fabianbono is also pondering below.

As my understanding, if you just remove the flash lamp, it will work as you say.

I also guess that the electronics on the flash board can't detect the bulb failure.

In that worst case, just need to replace the lamp for some hi watt resistor to discharge the capacitor and simulate the complete bulb fired.

Fabianbono: Now I continue my plan, I´m already working in V2!! I will purchase this cheap Hot Shoe Pixel TF-321 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllViewItem&item=261006845627 , then will modify the base (remove it and make the base flat) and fix it at top of Sony Flash cover. Then I will get a Hot Shoe connection plus PC Sync port and no external cables.

Yes, let us know how that works out, it is by far the best thing to do. Would you consider letting a few of us mail you a Sony flash unit, and the Hot Shoe, and the switch and resistors and transistor that you tell us to buy, perhaps with a prepaid mailer.? We'd pay you to send back a disabled, non-hinged (i.e. glued into the down position) Sony flash unit that has become a hot shoe adapter. With a tiny switch somewhere on it, to turn the thing on and off without having to raise or lower anything.

I can consider to modify your flashes!, just need to check if possible to handle the mailing without problems.
Our customs here a little harder....but no impossible.
Even that I can consider get some F7S units, convert, and put them on ebay!

Fabianbono: For sure on this shoe I ONLY will use a Wireless Trigger (I´m buying a couple of Yongnuo RF603) since this configuration can´t support the weight of a full flash.

Are you prepared to add the simple 100+K ohm resistor, to make one of the RF603's function as a permanent transmitter? That modification works perfectly . And even if you never labeled it, you can always tell which of your transceivers has been modified to be a transmitter. Just turn on your modified RF603, it'll be the one that has both green lights go on instead of just one.

I already analyze the mod on RF603, to add the resistor.
But I was wondering if the J6 place on the board, is some of the shoe pins.

That is why I purchase that hot shoe to make the mod, since it have all the Canon Pins.

Then, instead of modify the RF603, I can force the signal from inside the hot shoe, just need a logical one voltage!.
But until I receive my RF603 unit, I only can continue researching on Internet.
I didn't find pictures of circuits of RF603 inside yet.

And because my current workload, i'm doing this just in the few free time I have.

Let's continue improving our Nex!!!

fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow