Success PC Port output on HVL-F7S (Sony NEX) without PREFLASH!!!

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
fabianbono
OP fabianbono Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: fabian does your mod suppress Sony flash output?

ure

richg101 wrote:

fabianbono wrote:

This is the weak point of the mod.
With Sony flash down (off) you will not get the LCD screen brighten up.

This also could affect your AF function, even with AF illumination assistance light.

Issue is to operate the camera on a very dark condition (or no light at all), then I rise up the Sony Flash (to brighten the LCD screen), half press the shutter button to get the AF make focus, then while maintain the half pressed shutter button, down the Sony Flash and then shoot the picture.

could you mod the 'flash up/flash down' switch to always be set to the 'flash up' setting? then disconnect the flash bulb so it runs as if the bulb has blown, with no flash focus assist. will the orange focus light still function when flash is attached and set to 'flash up'?

In the picture "Imagen07" you can see the flex board of the flash.

At right you see the two flex going to the connector, and a third one (the bottom one in the photo) that is the mechanical switch that control the on/off of the flash.
The case push this switch when down, then put the flash in off status.

Just need to fix this switch to the desired value, or modify his connection to force the status that you want.

But again, this will reduce the value ranges on speed and aperture in your camera, that may be can affect your exposure desired values.
Flash OFF you have the full range of values to choose.

The AF assist light I think is independent of flash setting. It lites up when the camera detect a low contrast/low light scene, so need the extra help of that light.
I didn't try on the camera, but is how should work.

fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow