I finally 'get' equivalence

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 28,002
It's the loonies who are the problem.

Great Bustard wrote:

The main aim of equivalence always appears to be trying to put down M4/3 as a usable platform for photography.

Have I ever put down mFT? Link and quote even one disparaging comment I've made about mFT.

No, Joe, you personally have not put down M4/3 but there's a strange band of loonies who pop up with "equivalence" all too often in their efforts to tell us that M4/3 is a waste of space.

They give equivalence a bad name.

The trouble is that people only half read your page and come away with confused ideas. Way too often people land here looking into M4/3 for the first time and appear to understand that the effective focal length is different to full frame, but also muddle in with that the aperture changes too and think that M4/3 f/2.8 is really effectively f/5.6

It takes a while to convince people that f/2.8 is always f/2.8 at any sensor size, just the depth of field shrinks with smaller sensors/lenses so an f/2.8 lens covering the same field of view as full frame behaves more like f/5.6 only as far as depth of field in concerned.

The "total amount of light" on the sensor also confuses many. Sure that's important to understand but is not the be-all and end-all of understanding how to get an image. It just helps to explain why smaller sensors behave the way they do.

The M4/3 line lives with more noise at low ISO than any full frame camera, but in the final print or view on the screen it just does not matter. As I keep saying, if stretching the print size to ridiculous or cropping like crazy, some noise is needed in the image to help soften the effect of decreasing detail as the pixels per inch falls below critical limits. Otherwise the result looks plastic and sterile and badly digital.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow