which prime will compliment 18-55 IS (3.5-5.6) 600D/T3i KIT lens ?

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
avidracer New Member • Posts: 13
which prime will compliment 18-55 IS (3.5-5.6) 600D/T3i KIT lens ?

Hi All,

Just got into the world of DSLR after having used only P&S cameras since 2004. I must admit I have started to like this and slowly beginning to enjoy it too. But I have realized this to be an quiet expensive when I look at new lenses. My initial splurge ended me up with just: Canon T3i and 18-55 IS II f/3.5 to 5.6 KIT lens. Slowly having used it for about two months and not being satisfied with the low light performance I ended up buying an used 430ex ii flash. This is what I need for the most part; I expect to be taking portrait of young baby and do not want the experience to be filled with powerful flash. I understand I need to go the 'prime' way.

This has given rise to a conundrum - should I get the canon 50mm f1.8 a.k.a 'nifty-fifty' or the better IQ canon 85mm f1.8 ? Would I be served better with the 85mm Vs 50mm because I intend to hang-on to the KIT lens ? I am saving for 70-200 f/4L IS around Christmas time-frame and can pull out from it and delay that further for the 85mm f1.8. What threw a wrench in all of this is the EF 24-105 F4L IS. Will that be my mount it and forget it solution ?

ps:
I dont think I can afford (or willing to get) the ef-s 17-55mm f2.8
(Very) Highly unlikely to get FF before 2017 or might never go FF

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow