Massive A77 Flash Test (14-image series)

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP jl_smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,816
Another interesting fact on onboard flash

Hrm, this is certainly interesting.

So very early this morning, I decide to play around with manual onboard flash. I put it to 1/16 power and start using higher ISOs, etc.

I'm beginning to think the minimum distance quoted by Sony in the manual needs to be extended (though they say 3.3 feet or more as a catch-all).

Anyway, factoid here: While under manual control one can only select 1/16 power, under ADI flash has the capability to go even lower .

I found this rather interesting. In my experimentation this morning, I think I hit a blowout on a subject from around 4 feet and ISO 800. I then immediately switch to ADI flash and pull off the exact shot, and it wasn't overexposed! I went back to manual, took the shot again and yep - very hot. All shots were at f/2.8 and 1/60s, so it's wasn't my camera settings affecting the flash - the flash itself is able to lower its power lower than 1/16 when shooting ADI (and presumably TTL).

Interesting.
--
JL Smith
http://www.clickingwithsmitty.com

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow