Nine of us on Cadillac Mountain

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP lakensea Contributing Member • Posts: 607
Re: Nine of us on Cadillac Mountain

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

I agree with others - leave the EV within 1/3 of a stop of zero. My default is -0.3 in order to be able to recover highlights. IMO, you should use CWA metering too - you'll get a better exposure on your subjects. I would also use more DOF (maybe f5.6 - f8) to increase the likelihood that all subjects will be in focus. There is really no reason in this photo to try to blur the background - it's all sky.

But, the best way to get a real nice image would be to shoot RAW. This will allow you to recover shadow detail, adjust the sky so it is less over exposed and selectively adjust noise and exposure in the darker areas. You have a high contrast scene and shooting jpg is going to cost you dearly in a shot like this.

In summary: RAW, -0.3 EV, CWA, f5.6, ISO-200 and center spot focus on the dog's eye in the middle. You could also use some fill flash, but it might make the shot look a little unnatural. I'd try it with and w/o.

Thank you very much Ed. I will take your advice, but may hold off on the RAW for now for a number of reasons. Mostly time (and patience) and a powerful enough computer, but at some point will get to it - I know I need to. I also carried over some "setting" habits from all fall and winter with all low light (shady) and indoor portrait type shots. Needed the F2.8 to get the shutter speeds up enough to try to catch the active dogs in our too shady yard, and again lot's of F2.8 because my wife really loves the blurred background shots, making it easier to justify the better lenses. Now that spring is here it's a whole different world!

I need to correct my error in earlier posts - The Minolta lens is obviously the 35-70 F4, not 24-70. Got it from B & H for $50 and this was the first time I really got a chance to use it much - very happy with the shots I took with it - probably should have had it on the whole time. Only problem is focus speed when the dogs are active.

Thanks again.
--
Gary C.

lakensea's gear list:lakensea's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow