>>>> Street Photography eXchange #11 <<<

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
Re: It's all yours now, graduate of Columbia

fad wrote:

xtoph wrote:

i'm not seeing a dramatic color difference, but it is likely the effect you refer to is a consequence of viewing the color profiled image in ps (possibly in a nonstandard colorspace such as adobe rgb or profoto) as compared to the exported file in unspecified colorspace.

The problem seems to be caused by my photo hosting site, Imgur. When photos are > 1mb, they use compression. The solution may be to use lower jpg quality on color photos (this one was 1.2mb.)

yeah, okay, that would do it. so your exported jpg on your own hd looks different from the 'same' jpg on imgur? that sounds like an argument for flickr...

if you want consistent results, you need to either set your editor to srgb (which is the default on the web), or set your export prefs to specify the proper colorspace (and then just hope that whoever views the file on the web does so in a color managed browser--ie safari, or else firefox if the user has deliberately turned color management in firefox on (which the vast majority do not).

Thanks for the tip on Firefox. Starting with 3.5, it seems, the policy now is:

Configuring color correction

Color correction can be controlled by setting the value of the gfx.color_management.mode preference, as follows:
Value Description
0 Color management disabled. (Default in Firefox 3.)
1 Full color management.
2 Color management applied only to tagged images. (Default in Firefox 3.5.)

Full color management means that everything rendered by Firefox, with the exception of plugins, has its colors corrected.

Would there be any benefit to switching to full color management?

thanks, i hadn't noticed the change in policy.

color profiling and management is a minefield on the web, since it is never possible to know what other people are doing (and consequently, seeing), and often even difficult to know what they intend. lots of people, e.g., have their editor set up for adobe rgb because they heard it was better, but have web exporting set up to strip metadata and profiling. so we are always going to see something different from what they intended.

i am not sure when condition 1 above would be different from condition 2. if an image is untagged, my understanding would be that it will display under srgb in either case, but i don't really know.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow