Question about micro focus adjust procedure

Started May 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Jerry-astro Veteran Member • Posts: 8,711
Sort of an answer...

I know this doesn't directly answer your question and I apologize for that, but to be frank, I really didn't pay much attention to which direction the + or - compensated for. I know this sounds lame, but the method I followed was to use tethering and the Canon Utility to zero in on my target live and with magnification on my laptop. Then, after using a half shutter press to focus, I counted ticks to the left (minus) or to the right (plus) on the utility's focus adjustment until the image was at optimum focus. That procedure is outlined in this link:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=39900880

Whatever number of ticks you need go to the left to achieve optimum focus equates to a -n MFA adjustment and the inverse a +n MFA adjustment.

You may have a process you prefer, but this works well, gives you very good visibility on the impact of the subtle focus changes you're making, and a fairly precise way to arrive at a number. Early on, before discovering this process, I simply took a series of sample shots from +5 to 0 to -5 and looked at them at 100% (or even 200%). If that wasn't enough compensation, it at least gave me an indication as to which direction to go and a good starting point.

I hope this helps at least a little.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow