Lumix touch AF bug/settings/procedure
A longtime Olympus user, I'm starting an affair with Panasonic: I just received my Lumix GX1. My first impression is that the documentation is even more confusing and patchy than Olympus'. That's why I would appreciate your comments about "touch AF". Trying to wrap my head around it, here's what I noticed:
1. SOMETIMES TOUCH AF STOPS WORKING. The '1-area' moves to the new location, but the camera doesn't refocus. I can only think this happens when the overall light level is low, even if the spot I touch has high contrast... Maybe only after 'waking up' the camera... can anybody confirm?
2. Missing in the manual: touch AF requires 'AF Shutter' in the 'Custom' menu to be off, otherwise the camera focuses again when we press the shutter. Do I understand this correctly? this turns the shutter button half-press into an AE lock, freeing the AF/AE Lock button for another use.
3. Touch AF with 'Pinpoint' is slow and clumsy. After the first touch, one must drag the enlarged image 'behind' the focus point to fine-tune AF. Without a tripod, the slightest shake makes it hard, and more so since the touchscreen requires a firm press and the response is lagging (maybe I'm spoiled by my Samsung Galaxy S phone). The alternative is to use the cursor buttons, but that's slow. Why not a second touch?
4. 'Direct Focus Area' means 'Pre-Touch-Era-Procedure', and the explanation about using it along with 'Pinpoint' (bottom of P.96) is so badly phrased that I feel compelled to rewrite here what I just finally understood: 'With [+], you can move the POSITION OF THE ENLARGED AREA BEFORE IT IS ENLARGED'.
I paid approximately USD 1000 for the body and a 1.7 20mm, and for that sum, I find it really unacceptable to get such a badly written, edited, proofread, and laid out piece of trash documentation, however great the product.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%