Fuji XPro/Xtrans a mistake?

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
CriticalI Senior Member • Posts: 1,777
Re: Fuji XPro/Xtrans a mistake?

Interesting, but what he is basically saying is that the demosaicing will require a lot more processing power, and that Fuji are not being very helpful.

This is only an issue if you want to do it on an iPad. Personally I have no issues if they have to do it on a proper PC or Mac and it takes a little longer. It does not seem to take an inordinate amount of time to open in Silkypix.

What is clear is that there is more then one approach, and that each has its pros and cons. The Adobe version has a few issues in terms of chroma bleed and seems to follow the Fuji in-camera algorithm (although the latter works better). Silkypix has both decent colour separation and resolution (much better than the JPEG). So far once you have the colour issue nailed down, it is the most successful.

Even if resolution at low ISO is not particularly improved over the Nikon sensor (I would dispute this - I owned a D7000), it is clear that the high ISO resolution is a different story, possibly because of the greater number (and concentration) of green pixels.

liquid stereo wrote:

One has to wonder what Fuji is doing by not providing guidance — if not the exact algorithms/techniques — on how to process the raw files.

I hope they provide Apple with the algorithm as I don't imagine the Aperture team trying to figure this out.

http://chromasoft.blogspot.de/2012/05/demosaicing-fuji-x-pro1-and-its-x-trans.html

So my conclusion, sorry to say, is that the Fuji X-Pro1 X-Trans sensor doesn't deliver what Fuji promises. In fact, it underperforms similar DX sensored cameras.

This is not to say that the Fuji X-Pro1 is a bad camera - far from it - the camera has great lenses, a really attractive viewfinder and design, and in many ways the sensor is great, with low noise and clean data, in the class of the recent Sony and Nikon sensors. It just would have been a better camera with a conventional two-by-two sensor layout.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Steve

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow