Fuji XPro/Xtrans a mistake?

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Seltzer Senior Member • Posts: 1,792
I did.

I read the article, and it's an interesting read. But, here' the key phrase...

"This is my personal view-point..."

It's just an opinion. The fact that it's difficult to decode the RAW doesn't change the fact that it's possible, and in fact, will be done by Adobe (they said as much). You can't argue with the IQ, so it's all worth it. To me, the "mistake" would have been NOT to pursue innovation. This is not "a solution looking for a problem" or "a question no one is asking." Instead, this is a legitimate, innovative way to improve IQ.

liquid stereo wrote:

I don't know if you read the article but its quite informative. This isn't simply about whether the support is there or not. Its more a matter of the nature of the demosaicing algorithms and their lack of uniform superiority over current lenses with bayer color filters. Its really a matter of math and signal processing.

Jeff Seltzer wrote:

I'm eager for it, as well. But it's only been a few months since released. They've already stated they are "working on it" and in fact have released a Beta. Frankly, I've been happy with the supplied software, then export to LR in 16-bit .tif files. A year from now when we have full LR support, the questions below will seem moot. But, until then, it's valid to at least raise the questions. But, for me, the IQ is so great, I'm willing to live with the (temporary) inconvenience of no LR Raw support.

liquid stereo wrote:
If Adobe and others have yet to figure it out, then.... Who else is out there?

I'm simply wondering if (a) the Xtrans will go the way of the previous Fuji innovations and (b) why doesn't Fuji give the algorithm to developers.

Cheers!

Jeff Seltzer wrote:

The sensor produces amazing image quality. Just because Adobe and others are taking longer to figure out the RAW formula doesn't mean it's a mistake. Patience.

liquid stereo wrote:

One has to wonder what Fuji is doing by not providing guidance — if not the exact algorithms/techniques — on how to process the raw files.

I hope they provide Apple with the algorithm as I don't imagine the Aperture team trying to figure this out.

http://chromasoft.blogspot.de/2012/05/demosaicing-fuji-x-pro1-and-its-x-trans.html

So my conclusion, sorry to say, is that the Fuji X-Pro1 X-Trans sensor doesn't deliver what Fuji promises. In fact, it underperforms similar DX sensored cameras.

This is not to say that the Fuji X-Pro1 is a bad camera - far from it - the camera has great lenses, a really attractive viewfinder and design, and in many ways the sensor is great, with low noise and clean data, in the class of the recent Sony and Nikon sensors. It just would have been a better camera with a conventional two-by-two sensor layout.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow