V1 - worth buying?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
TaxiDinner
TaxiDinner New Member • Posts: 11
Re: V1 - worth buying?

Hi, here is a link to the shots I've taken with the Nikon V1 thus far. I've had the camera and three lens kit for about a month. I'm a professional news photographer (now freelance) but have been staff for four daily newspapers. The V1 is not going to match what your used to with the D700 and are growing used to with the D4, but it is by far the most capable of all the mirrorless cameras. The sensor is small yes, so you will see more grain than you are used to. But the grain (in my opinion) is very beautiful (unlike the noise of the Nikons/Canons prior to the D3 and 5D days). To me it looks more like film grain. And, it's very well controlled under ISO 800. Above that, it's more noticeable especially in your background. Think Ralph Gibson (if you don't know who he is, a quick Google search will fill you in).

Finally, since you are already used to the Nikon menus and logic, it's a fast learn. I LOVE and embrace the simplicity of the V1. The focus is blazing, the battery life is wonderful (I get about 900 shots per charge), the buffer is HUGE, the camera is very responsive. B&H and Amazon both have great return policies if you don't like it. But you will, trust me!

My V1 gallery so far:
http://500px.com/craiglitten
--
CL

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow