Nikon AF-Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D

Started May 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Re: Nikon AF-Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D

sjgcit wrote:

If you want a good fast lens of that focal length ( and only you know that ) then I'd suggest the newer Nikon 50mm f1.8 G. It's only slightly slower but is optically a bit better.

The G model will also AF on a body without a motor, That may not matter to you now, but it gives you more options in the choice of future bodies.

As is often the case, I completely agree with my friend Stephen. There is no reason I can think of to get the older screw drive model when the new one has a sonic ring motor. The 50 f/1.8 G is slightly better optically and costs only $219. I think it is a no-brainer.

The only reason I'd consider the f/1.4 D model is if it were way cheaper than the 50 f/1.4 AFS G model and if I really needed the 2/3rds of a stop the f/1.4 gave over the f/1.8. Otherwise, I think the 50 f/1.8 AFS G would be first choice and the 50 f/1.4 AFS G would be second choice. The D series screw drives would not be a choice for me. I think it's going backwards, but that's personal opinion.

Good luck and have fun at it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow