Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,922
Pentax participants: This will make you happy!

It took me awhile to catch on, but after reading several of the comments in this thread from Pentax users who have come to the m4/3 forum to try and convince us that the K-5 and Pentax lenses are as small or smaller than the E-M5 and m4/3 lenses I now understand their thinking. As long as you ignore the actual body sizes by insisting that we pretend the cameras are 2-dimensional and weu only look at a front view and then further ignore the whole list of m4/3 AF lenses and further ignore the whole list of Pentax lenses and just cherry pick one or two MF Pentax lenses to compare to dissimilar m4/3 AF lenses with different apertures and different effective focal lengths then I can see their point. Therefore as a service to help prove their point I offer this wonderful comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.35,187.82,ha,t

This is the E-M5 with the largest m4/3 lens mounted. It has the AF Panasonic 100-300mm f4-5.6 OIS with an effective FL of 200-600mm. The K-5 has the 43mm f1.9 MF lens with an effective FL of 64mm. Clearly this is the most equivalent comparison that can be made. Why do I say that? Because it is the only type of comparison that fits the criteria of our visitors. LOL

If you want small then m4/3 is probably the way to go. The K-5 is very attractive and in some ways is preferable to me over the E-M5, but I much prefer the range of lenses that are fairly small that m4/3 has over the mostly much bigger lenses that Pentax/Sigma/Tamron have for the K-5. I also prefer to have AF lenses for AF cameras. For someone else it is certainly reasonable that they prefer a larger body with a very small number of small MF lenses. This has nothing to do with one being better than the other, but this bizarre argument that the K-5 and lenses are as small as the E-M5 is just weird.

If you want to go really small with no disagreements then those of you who have the K-5 should get yourself a Pentax Q and lenses. That is really small.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow