Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Melbourne Park Senior Member • Posts: 2,683
Re: Another biased one

zxaar wrote:

sorry but k-5 also fits the jacket without lens. It is not that big. Try that.

In that case, so does my Canon 5DMKII.

And you can use those lenses on the OM-D, and manual ones focus better on the OM-D than they do on the K. And the OM-D's IBIS is better too.

Adpater costs money, if it were for free i am game. Add that to cost of system.

Nothings for free ... you are bull dusting. I did a search, first find was $15 for one: http://m43photo.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/pentax-pk-to-four-thirds-adapter.html

I have Pentax lenses too ... a fast 50mm prime amongst them. Tragically I had an excellent fish eye lens, that I had serviced (by a shop) and they sold it ... so they claimed ...

But the, the 50 mm is very soft except for in the centre.

Which 50mm you are talking about?? Only FA version lacks the contrast. Shoot 50mm F1.2 at f1.8 and compare it with 45mm at 1.8 the difference would not be much. Probably the F1.2 version might be sharper seeing that it is very usable at F1.2. Their takumar F1.4, F1.8 are also very good lenses and so is F2 version.

Its bigger than the 45mm F/1.8 lens,

FA version is not much bigger than 45mm F1.8 and so is takumar version. You are simply wrong here.

I have this lens:
SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4/50 6998071 ASAHI OPT. CO.. JAPAN

and lots of others!! And I sure know about K-5 and K-7 too.

which is sharp everywhere, and it doesn't auto focus. So I have purchased the 45 Olympus lens as well. Its a portrait type lens, and with the eye focus and tracking on, it will auto focus quickly and get great people shots.

Good for you but it does not make other lenses useless.

And another thing ... the legacy K lenses are designed for film. The light bounces all around the camera's sensor due to the glass being designed for light absorbing film.

Have been using them on cameras for years. Haven't noticed problems. Here is one shot in bright day light.

And when one comes down to teles - things will change further. And with teles, the crop factor becomes a bigger advantage to m43. And how about wide angle? What has the K got to match the 14-28mm (FF) width of the 7-14 zoom?

Pentax Q holds that advantage much much more than OMD do over APC cams.

You're not even right about the Pentax Q having that advantage - the sensor is too limiting. And you might not agree, but its smaller than a K-5. Its performance is quite inferior in several photographic areas, there are better choices out there, and if you really think its a good camera for comparing with a K-5, then I now understand what you're really on about - a silly defence of Pentax's so called small size.

I have several Pentax cameras, but the OM-D is a huge step onto a completely different development curve.

Melbourne Park's gear list:Melbourne Park's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow