Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Melbourne Park Senior Member • Posts: 2,683
Re: Another biased one

zxaar wrote:

Yaa but the problem is biggest dimension. Both cameras are unpocketable. You have to carry both of them in either hands or in bag.

The OM-D without a lens does fit in a jacket pocket. So too a lens in the other pocket. The K is just too big I'm afraid - but lots of Pentax lenses will fit in the other pocket.

And you can use those lenses on the OM-D, and manual ones focus better on the OM-D than they do on the K. And the OM-D's IBIS is better too.

As far as sensors go, they are all excellent except for 5% of photos. Crop factor is a real difference though, but its not a very big one.

I have Pentax lenses too ... a fast 50mm prime amongst them. Tragically I had an excellent fish eye lens, that I had serviced (by a shop) and they sold it ... so they claimed ... But the, the 50 mm is very soft except for in the centre. Its bigger than the 45mm F/1.8 lens, which is sharp everywhere, and it doesn't auto focus. So I have purchased the 45 Olympus lens as well. Its a portrait type lens, and with the eye focus and tracking on, it will auto focus quickly and get great people shots.

And another thing ... the legacy K lenses are designed for film. The light bounces all around the camera's sensor due to the glass being designed for light absorbing film.

And I can hand the camera to anyone, and they'll use live view, and take picture by touching the screen. Zap will go the focus, focusing on the nearest eye of the person who was touched in the LCD. And fastest focus there is when doing that, and no phase distance errors either. It's as easy as that. And I can then grab the OM-D back, and take a video too, instantly. And wow about the video quality.

Its another world entirely. And handle an OM-D - they are way way smaller than they look. Note too, that Olympus have got a protrubing eye piece. If it was as flat as the K's, the camera would be much thinner statistically. But in reality, the eye piece does not take up extra room in a pocket. Beware of the stats - hold the camera. On paper, the X-Pro is even thinner than the OM-D. But use it, relatively its huge. So too its lenses.

And when one comes down to teles - things will change further. And with teles, the crop factor becomes a bigger advantage to m43. And how about wide angle? What has the K got to match the 14-28mm (FF) width of the 7-14 zoom?

Melbourne Park's gear list:Melbourne Park's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow