Received and possibly returning ANOTHER D800

Started May 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
mrwilkins Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Received and possibly returning ANOTHER D800

Arretose wrote:

I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that have camera's that are not affected by this AF issue. Either they haven't checked, or are unaware.

There are some D800 owners who have performed accurate tests that yield no problem. Sure, it's a very real issue, but you have no basis to say that 100% of the cameras are affected.

To those of you that sent your D800 back to Nikon- does Nikon just fine tune each of the focal points or are they actually replacing faulty AF parts? I have seen conflicting posts suggesting that their invoice shows either or. I contemplate whether the "software" fix is just a patch for a faulty AF (broken hardware) or not.

Note that the manufacturing process for this type of AF system involves (and requires!) a software calibration for accurate results, because it's a system that gets no feedback from the imaging part of the camera. It's quite possible that the firmware provides enough control to correct the problem.

Also, are we past the debacle of people sending in their D800's to Nikon, paying to ship/insurance, and waiting a few weeks, only to get their camera back and not fixed?

This may be a problem that the repair facility finds difficult to identify with their routine test procedures. In this case, it might help a lot for the owner of the camera to include such things as a written procedure for replicating the problem, some test images, and probably the lens with which the issue occurred.

I personally have not yet conducted a well-controlled test on my D800, but I can tell already that, if there is a problem, it's not as severe as some of those described (and documented with pictures) in this forum. This tells me that there's some variation, which is what I'd expect for something that's probably essentially a software calibration problem.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow