Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,007
Re: Why is an OM-D better than a Pentax K-5?

Sergey Borachev wrote:

There are a couple of simple fundamental question to ask yourself. Do you feel safe with Pentax? Do you want to buy an APS-C DSLR now?

Nope. But I do want to understand what the implications of the choice are.

Pentax has been sold twice already and there is little left in that camera company now in Ricoh's hands. For example, no new models for DSLR now. There is only one DSLR model, the K-5, left and it is so out of date in AF, flash and other support.

I hear the E-5 owners feel exactly the same way Pentax exists now, and I don't really see a point in speculating about their health any more so than Olympus.

There is also an issue with the future of APS-C DSLRs, as mirrorless cameras are going to take over.

I just don't consider that to be a legitimate concern at all.

The K-5 is no more than an very old K-7 with a Sony sensor and some trivial update. The same old and inadequate 11-point AF system, the same out of date flashes, the same problems in lens lineup and the dreaded SDM lens motor problem and even worse, independent lens makers keep dropping support for Pentax K-mount, e.g. no new Tamron, Tokina, and others. The Nikon D7000 is much safer bet if it has to be a DSLR.

The big things that caught my eye in Pentax are weather sealing and shake reduction, with Nikon lacking the latter. I don't know so much about the specifics of the problems you describe, but I can imagine that if they add up to a poor experience actually using the camera long term (something no review covers), then that's a big drawback.

Also it looks like Pentax's video support is absolutely bare-bones.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Leo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow