Video with x-pro

Started May 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
lnbolch
lnbolch Senior Member • Posts: 2,318
Re: Video with x-pro

LiveView has been around since the beginning. My first camera bought a dozen years ago had it. Any camera with LiveView has a video feed—and that includes most cameras now. No camera manufacturer now or in the future, can afford to leave video off. In essence it is a free feature that is now expected. That does not mean it is a video camera.

I have tried a few clips with the X100, and viewed on a big screen, they were impressive, even though 720p. I had no problem opening them in Sony Vegas movie editing software, and editing them. In one case, the ambient sound level was high and I was able to greatly clarify speaking voices on the sound-track using the tools in SoundForge. The same would be fully true of my X-Pro1, though I have not yet tested it.

Would I actually use either camera to make video? No way! They—and most still cameras—while capable of capturing it, are simply not designed for it. A few like the Canon 5D have loads of aftermarket gear that can turn it into a decent video camera, but at considerable cost. While pro-video cameras can be enormously costly, they start at quite affordable prices. Even a low-end camera will be much more comfortable than trying to use a still camera for video. What they can not do, is produce a "film" look, which can be done with a larger sensor and large aperture lens. However, this requires a cinematographer's skill-level that is not trivial.

Any camera can shoot anything. However, it does not mean it can do it well. If I were making my living shooting field sports, I would choose a D4 over my X100. If I were shooting video and not required by the editor to also provide stills, I would shoot an actual video camera. Cameras are made in so many ways, in order to do somethings better than others and thus be competitive. The Fujifilm cameras are superb for people, street and any decisive moment photography. Both are extremely stealthy and with skill provide good results in low light. However, if you want ultimate versatility, go for a dSLR. The trade-off is bulk, weight and noise—the direct opposite of stealth.

It has been said that with enormous dedication you can teach a pig to sing. However in the process, the pig undergoes cruel stress and in the end, the result does not justify the effort. So it is with cameras too.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow