Did Nikon make an EPIC BLUNDER?

Started May 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joe Porto Senior Member • Posts: 1,064
Hi, Im an ignorant sucker!!!

Just received the D3200 today to add to my Nikon collection...D2X, D700 and D7000.

I guess I'm a sucker because I wanted a small, light, inexpensive body with decent IQ. I also wanted something I can let my 11 year old son shoot while I bring out the big guns...

Testing it today, I have to say it's a winner. In fact, I am amazed at what I am getting for the price.

As for strategy, I think it makes more sense to put your newest sensor technology in the cheapest cameras first, and sell tons of them. This way you have the capital to invest in your pro line, which sells slower and in much less quantity.

It's cheaper and more profitable to manufacture 1,000,000 sensors and sell them to consumers than to manufacture 100,000 of the same sensor and sell it to pros. Plus, you select the best (lowest noise, best dynamic range) of those sensors and reserve them for the higher end DX cameras.

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow