So, I waited for IvyBridge to release

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark A. Anderson Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: So, I waited for IvyBridge to release

Most people I know of, and what I believe to be the best method, is to use the SSD for the OS and applications only, and separate hard drive for their data. Do you know how to configure Windows 7 to point all of your user file direcrories to another hard drive? It's simple, you go to the user folder, right click on all of the sub folders individually and select properties and then the location tab, now simply type in the new directory path using the drive letter for the data drive. I basically "clone" my user folder on the data hard disk, and then type in those paths with the data hard drive letter.

I also create a separate small partition with new drive letter on the physical data hard drive, and I use this for both temporary internet cache files and the computer indexing. I can tell you how to do this also if necessary. With it set up this way, hopethetically your SSD drive has very little to nothing be written to it at all. It just churn away running the OS and your applications.

If you want to run backups all the time, then one data drive is fine. But I think you can get two 2TB drives for close to the price of one 3TB, and the data safety factor is much more secure when you are running RAID 1 mirrored. If one of the drives fails, your computer will continue to work. All you have to do is power it down, replace the bad drive, and the computer will rebuild the new hard drive on its own. So much more simple than running backups all the time. I run a data backup to an external 2TB hard drive maybe once a month, but this is almost overkill because it is very unlikely that two hard drives in a RAID1 configuration are both going to fail at the same time.

Keep an image of your SSD once it is completely built, so you can quickly replace the SSD drive if it fails. I have two images of my SSD for safety; one on the 2TB RAID data volume, and one on the external 2TB HD.

PicOne wrote:

Mark A. Anderson wrote:

gs85739az wrote:

Consider Windows 7PRO...you might need it for some of your older software...

Yes, I was going to comment that Win7 Home Edition don't cut it if your trying to build a serious computer; SSD and all that. I like the Ultimate version.

Haven't looked at IvyBridge yet. Built a computer with ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe and Crucial SSD about eight months ago. Make sure you set the SSD SATA port to "Hot Swap Enabled" in the bios. I would seriously suggest two 2TB drives running RAID 1 mirrored for your data, as opposed to one 3TB HD.

I don't believe I have any software old enough that there'd be a concern re: HP vs. Prem. Generally machine is photoshop, lightroom, associated plug-in software, etc..

I'm also not terribly concerned about maintaining uptime in case of drive failure, so would there be any other reason to consider Raid 1 ? (ie. vs. backing up to independent internal, as well as an external, drive)

On this note: do people usually partition an SSD to an OS vs App partition in order to run separately scheduled backups (or clones for OS?) from?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow