Considering the Carl Zeiss 24mm

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
RustyKnee Regular Member • Posts: 462
Re: Considering the Carl Zeiss 24mm

That is the sensible approach :). I will probably take the sensible route in the end, but the X100 is an interesting option.

sean lancaster wrote:

The X100 will be replaced by a newer camera soon and the X100 will drop in price. And then another year down the road it will drop more. I suppose if it's filling the needs you have then it's worth it, but the Zeiss 24 will maintain it's selling price for a long, long time. Good glass stays expensive. And, as long as the Zeiss 24 continues to sell out immediately then the used price is not going anywhere.

RustyKnee wrote:

Cheers Papillon, I am kinda swaying towards the X100 at the moment. My mate has one and seems to use it more than his D700.

I like the in built ND idea too.

hmmm decisions decisions

papillon_65 wrote:

RustyKnee wrote:

Any more thoughts on this 24mm F1.8 for an existing NEX owner (5n in my case) or X100 comparison? Have recent X100 firmwares changed the situation at all?

I have the 5n and the X100 which I bought instead of the 24mm F1.8. Using the X100 is a totally different experience and it will give you more than the Zeiss. Things like superb flash capability, manual controls and a beautiful retro look and feel. That's besides the beautiful IQ. It's a no-brainer for me, get the X100, it's a classic.

I will soon be getting rid of my slr gear (D700 + lenses (most) and strobes), but want a 35mm equivalent that is relatively fast. Currently I use an AIS 24mm F2.8 with adapter on my 5N.

The 24mm 1.8 is a slightly smaller combo than the nikon, but sill quite disproportionate (compared to x100). Faster and has nicer Bokeh than nikon. NEX has super MF options.

The X100 has manual controls that I will miss from my slr, The images out of it do look nice. Lighter, more proportionate....cheaper and available. And looks like interesting thing to use.

edit, I do like a bit of landscape occasionally...which is better for that? I hear the 24mm 1.8 isn't so strong (although not bad) in that area.

Stu

-- hide signature --

It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow