'The Sigma 30mm the best of all available E-mount lenses?'

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 3,882
Re: 'The Sigma 30mm the best of all available E-mount lenses?'

hewitt wrote:

That's the question sonyalpharumours poses after reading Lensrentals result after measuring the resolution of all currently available NEX lenses including a Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux with Fotodiox adapter. At f2.8 and f4.0 the Sigma 30mm is the winner. To quote Lensrentals: “The Sigma is really amazing. Obviously it’s not really a wide aperture prime, with a maximum aperture of f/2.8, but it gives world-class resolution. The Sony 24mm f/1.8 is not the bargain the Sigma is, but from f/2.2 on it has amazing center resolution, although it lags behind the other two in the corners.”

I am a bit afraid, that there are some sample variations around.

I don't want to blame Sigma 30, I have it, so why should I :-), but in my very fast short comparison test, center resolution stays noticeably behind 30 or more year old Canon FD 35 f2 S.S.C.
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/2012/04/sigma-ex-30-f28-ex-dn-e-review.html

I will have to make much more tests to make my own opinion, but am a little bit afraid that my sample is not the best one, according to all those raving reviews around.

It is also good to note, that precise MF with Sigma is very hard and uncomfortable due to rather harsh focus ring dumping.

On the other hand Sigma 19 is giving me some surprisingly good results (at f stops 8 and above, didn't shot with it bellow).
Sigma 19 with NEX 7 at f11

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow