D800 Amazing action photos by Fred Miranda

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Event_shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
Re: D800 Amazing action photos by Fred Miranda

Canadianguy wrote:

I am responding to you not to disagree with you about using the D800 for sports but to put things into perspective or to have Bill Frakes put it into perspective.

Fast forward to 4:40 time marker where he talks about shooting sport back in the day with a 600mm MANUAL focus lens - he mentions that the top 30-40 sports shooters in the WORLD got 70-80% keeper rates using manual focus and this would be with film.

I believe that the Nikon F4 had a motor drive that could do 5 fps and this was what the pros were using to shoot sports. OK maybe Bill was talking about earlier because the F4 had AF.

But I think Bill's point is that these new cameras have really lowered the bar for anyone to become a sports shooter. The buffer on the D4 is almost unlimited - the "buffer" in the film days was 36 images - then you needed to reload. The D800 buffer runs out at about 20-22 shots but it will still clear faster than you could reload film into a camera.

So yes, the D4 is a better suited camera for sports than the D800 but the D800 is still miles better than the film days. So depending on your skill level, you maybe able to get by using a D800 vs. a D4 but certainly less skill is required using a D4 than a D800 to get the shot.

But I do wonder when sport shooters will be making the transition to video and stripping stills out of the video capture with 4K and 5K cameras that are on the market now.

I think what everyone fails to understand of just wants to justify their D800 purchase is that the D800 is mechanically NOT CAPABLE of doing sports.

Like I explained, till I'm blue in the face, is it has nothing to do with SKILL. Nothing.

Oh sure if you are an amazing photographer and you have absolute perfect eye sight and even more perfect timing you can catch that single most precious shot. So, like I said the D800 can SHOOT A PICTURE AT A SPORT EVENT, can we agree, we can also agree that a camera obscura can shoot a picture at an event.

BUT here is the debate all the D800 shooters refuse to admit, just taking a picture of a sport event does not make you a Sport shooter.

Shooting Sports means shooting everything ALL THE TIME at a Sports event and that means no waiting for the D800 to write to the card, or empty it's buffer.

I have no bias, I have the D800E and the D4 sitting next to me right now.

The D800 is mechanically unsuited for Sports.

Everyone needs to understand shooting sports is different than taking a picture at a sporting event.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow