How many MP is enough?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
dominikov Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: How many MP is enough?

Colin K. Work wrote:

What I 'need' is around 20-25px which covers pretty much any publication task I'm likely to be involved in. More than that gives me the luxury of croppability, but that begins to be a trade-off on file size and performance.

To be honest, if my work required 40mp plus I would be looking at medium format systems.

Colin, I hear the 'if I need more mp I'll use MF...' line quite often but the reality is outside of rentals you need $10K just to get in the door with an entry level system (Pentax 645D) and then you're forking out for a whole new range of lenses, and some of them are $5K+.

Something that offers results close to medium format for $3000 that takes your existing lenses has got to sound tempting to any professional or serious amateur, even if Canon hasn't come to the table yet.

What also changes the game is the expectations of clients. A $3000 price point has put the D800 in the hands of cashed up beginners and enthusiasts, and much like an affordable 5Dmk2 back in 2008 which made 21mp files quite common, an affordable 36mp Nikon will have a similar effect. People will start expecting much larger files, regardless of whether the product is any better or not.

dominikov's gear list:dominikov's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ihv
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow