Light leak fix. No thanks, Canon!

Started May 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,469
History from a Nikon user perspective.

mforbes wrote:

kicked the issue to the curb like they did with the Mark3 focus problem. Remember, Canon took two years to fluff that off before owning up and issuing a firmware update to address the problem.

I have a 1D Mk3, went through that whole autofocus debacle, and your comment is misinformation.

The Mark III was released in May 2007. There were complaints that in cloudy conditions when people ran straight towards the camera the servo focus was not satisfactory. Many girlfriends and wives got very fit helping DPReview members test this.

Canon released a firmware issue in September. It fixed certain auto focus issues and other issues but not the one that was significant to certain shooters.

On October 17th THAT SAME YEAR , Canon stated the auto focus issue was suspected to be caused by an internal submirror assembly that required replacement on cameras with serial numbers between 501001 and 546561.

I took mine in and got it fixed. It was NOT a firmware release and nor did they deny it for two years, although many of us were frustrated by how long it did take.

Even with the submirror assembly change, some still noted problems. On March 3, 2009, Canon announced new firmware and a free AF recalibration for the 1D Mark III. I sent my camera in for that too.

It took longer than it should but they certainly did not "fluff it off" for two years.

At the end of the day, do you really want your $3,500.00 investment brought up to specs with a strip of electrical tape? You and I deserve better, much better.

There is electrical tape all over the camera,, as on many DSLRs. Nikon prefers orange electrical tape. Why are those pieces of tape up to spec and not this one?

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tmr
HSU
(unknown member)
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow