Help me choose between three!

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
ranger89 New Member • Posts: 8
Help me choose between three!

Hello, I am looking to buy my first DSLR camera. I have earned some points through work for a rewards catalog, and they have three in my price (points) range:

1.) Canon T3i kit (delayed 4-5 weeks)

2.) Sony SLTA55 kit (available now)

3.) Nikon D5100 kit (delayed 4-5 weeks)

I primarily shoot landscapes and wildlife. I also like to use panorama and macro; don't really use video. I'd be using it outdoors year round, in a variety of light and weather conditions. Durability is a concern, I'd like to carry it in a padded hard case while hiking.

My prior P&S experience has been with Sony, so I am leaning that way a little bit. Just because I am more familiar with the buttons/menus, and I do like the sweep panorama mode. Also, it's available now. The Canon and Nikon are not discounted in price, and are delayed. If I chose one of them, I'd have to think about waiting for the next model (T4i?).

I don't plan to become a pro photographer, but I am considering taking some classes to become a better amateur. I'd also like a longer lense and maybe a macro lense. What would you guys recommend for my intended uses?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow