How many MP is enough?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,501
Re: How many MP is enough?

sacentre wrote:

Not directly related to Canon but what with all the talk about the magapixel count of current sensors and whether or not a large MP Canon body was on the cards, I thought I'd post my question here.

A while ago, there was talk of the "equivalence" of MP count to analogue film grain and seem to recall someone saying that 25MP would be roughly equivalent to ASA 64 or maye it was 25.

Is this sort of equivalence comparison still valid? How many MPs would be considered the equivalent of a Kodachrone ASA 25 slide today? I realise MP is only one factor in IQ and not the whole story but how many would be enough all else considered?

When I look at the MP race which seems to be taking place at the moment, I'm reminded of the over-sampling race that dominated the CD player market at one time and the marketing hype that made us all think higher oversampling meant better sound.

Just wondering.

Trevor

It does seem this discussion is old news, as pros and hobbyist are now only using film in a few niche roles. The industry as a whole as "gone digital". A decade ago the question was "when will digital be as good as 35mm film?", and that question has been laid to rest.

I've never shot film so I can't comment on the equivilence part. Most who have used both mediums seem to agree that today's 20+mp FF sensors are getting results equal to or exceeding what they were achieving with medium format film when printed. 6x7 or 6x9 may still hold the edge in absolute resolution, but in the end digital produces a fine print with huge workflow advantages.

35mm film is not even in the discussion now. And today's best MF digital systems are being compared to 4x5 film, with many giving digital MF the edge.
--

On the 5D3 and D800: "The fact there is still so much to criticize with cameras this good only proves the human race can never be satisfied with anything." (Me)

My sites:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ihv
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow